Monday, February 6, 2012

Two things a woman can never be.

After a few happenings last week and my never ending pursuit to decide what to wear, it seemed perfectly appropriate to share this as this week's words to live by.


In reference to being overdressed, of course there are extreme circumstances; like wearing full on bling to the beach or a ball gown to your little cousins backyard BBQ. But I'd like to interpret this half of the quote as being confident with your personal style. The type of confidence that makes people say "oh, she can pull that off"-- no matter what the garment or venue may be. So from now on I am going to make a valiant effort to not concern myself with what everyone else is wearing. And to focus on dressing in what makes me feel comfortably-sexy, thus confident with my appearance.

But over-educated? Don't even get me started. To me that is a cop-out for those who are intimidated. From a business perspective it's simply an oxymoron. What company doesn't want to hire those who are wildly smart and experienced? Sadly, you'd be surprised at the number of companies who by-pass candidates for this very reason. I'm going on record to say if you use the "over-qualified/over-educated card" it means at least one of two things: I don't want to hire someone smarter than me or I can't pay anywhere near what you are worth. Only exception here is if you make it apparent your salary expectations or that you would be bored with what the job entails [in which case you should withdraw your application]. And in a social setting, smart is equally as enticing. Everyone should be able to hold a conversation with substance on a particularly complex subject. If you can can voice your opinion and have conviction on the matter, all the better. 

Moral of the story? Wear your clothes, don't let them wear you. Slip on your favorite pair of shoes, march your butt into that party/interview/new bar, and don't you dare shy away from an opportunity to enlighten others with your smarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment